“In Order to Truly Live WE Must Die Before We Die.”
Sunday, February 24, 2013
“Suicide is doing on the outside what needs to be done on the inside.” Groff
What does it mean “to die before we die.” This is the question, the writer will address and how this relates to Great Mind / Great Life. This is the key to understanding the Perennial Philosophy which says the ego is an illusion, created by language, which also creates the illusion of time. The only time that exists is now.
The statement makes sense when we understand the difference between Being and mind. Mind is a creation of language, which creates memories of our experience. Being is Consciousness. The more consciously we live, the more we access Being and its creative power to design our Great Life. Identifying with mind creates an identity which we call our self or our ego. This is the false sense of Identity which must “die” figuratively. The self as an epiphenomena of mind/language must be defused or separated or dis-identified as our personal identity. We are not mind, we have a mind.
We are Being-embodied-in-human. Consciusness comes about from Being-in-the-world. We are not seperate from the world and others. We are a co-creation of Being and the world, neither one exists without the other.
We could say that the belief that we are a psychological self or ego dies when we see it does not exist in truth. It (you) are no more than an idea in your head (mind). However, the psychological self and “psychological time” will remain with ua and we will have to learn not to be identified with them, in order to live Great Life. We will begin to see them as mental objects created by an in the mind (which itself does not exist as a thing, it is a verb, a process we call thinking = using language to describe consciousness).
When the ego, the thinking mind, looks at the present moment it looks at it through the eyes of the past or as a means to a future end. It can never be in the present. “Thinking and consciousness are not synonymous.” Consciousness is no mind, consciousness is without thought. Emotions are the reaction of the body to thought. Mind includes thought and the emotions.
How does one achieve this realization?
See that you are Consciousness/Being and by not identity with the ego and livinga life of aggrandizing the ego. You are not a ghost in a bag of skin separate and at odds with all the other bags of skin. There is nothing separate in reality. Dualism and separation is created by language mapping out and making distinctions and making the mistake that the map is the territory or the menu is the meal. Language is the great magician which creates the illusions of things, past, future, psychological “ego” self, time, dualism, separatenes. Language can be the source of understanding or the source of separateness, war, judgemnt and hate. It can create “Maya” illusion or powerful distinctions to create Great Life.
How Can We Realize We Are Being/Consciousnes vs. Ego/Mind?
1. AA says you must hit the bottom and completely destroy the ego. Desperation is the door to enlightenment. Lose all hope that the ego-the “hungry ghost”, can ever be satisfied. There is always more, better and different to go after. Only after you have drank yourself to total oblivion and have lost all do you see that you are nothing and then you can turn your life over to a higher power (Great Mind).
2. Ayuasca, San Pedro, Peyote, Magic mushrooms, LSD are drugs which have been used to transcend the ego and attain enlightenment. “Suicide is doing on the outside what needs to be done on the inside.” Groff
3. Meditation is a tool to observe the mind and to see that you are consciousness
4. Yoga, Tai Chi, Chi Quong, martial arts are disciplines used to achieve presence consciousness.
5. Intense physical activity such as dancing, the two minutes drill, championship playoffs often produce time stopping, ego transcendence.
6. Love. When we lose ourselves in our connection with our lover in sexual union and just being with him or her.
7. Mind stopping. Using a mind stopping technique to practice being here and now.
8. Childbirth and being with children playing.
9. Playing anything: music, games, chess, piano, guitar, we can lose our “self”.
10. Acceptance and Commitment therapy says we can defuse from our various mental identities (selves) by getting these “aliens” unstuck from our faces so we can see them. We need not fight with these mental creations. We can accept them and put them on our figurative “bus” and continue to drive the bus to our destination creating a “Great LIFE” by design.
11. You just need to see and know the truth that you already enlightened. You are consciousness. You are and can only be here and now. It is just that you are running a program which has a virus (the ego). What’s the anti-virus? How do we reboot the computer? It is not something we have to do? It is something that we have to stop doing or learn how to stop doing for a few minutes. We must stop ‘egoing’ and we cannot as long as we have a mind or more accurately as long as we believe our mind is who we are. We must learn to detach from our mind. To get unstuck from it and its magic to create with language things, which really are not things but thoughts, and the belief in them which is also created by the language, with which they are created.
From The Four Noble Truths, Buddha
(Pain) All suffering is caused by desire. Desire is caused by the ego’s wants, its attachments and its fear that it won’t get what it wants. It wants to survive at all costs. It wants to dominate and avoid domination (Think Hitler and teenagers). It want to be right and prove others wrong. (Think evangelists and Rush Limbaugh).
All suffering in an illusion caused by identifying with an illusion.
“I saw a man who was not there walking up the stair, I saw that man again today, God I wish he’d go away.”
In order to truly live a Great Life. We must die, figuratively, because the ego cannot live a great life. The ego can only create pain and suffering, war and hate. By turning off ego mind and turning on Great Mind and tuning into Its’ creative energy, we can take off designing a Great Life for ouselves and all our fellow conscious Beings embodied in human bodies.